We have saved $200,000 by implementing sustainability initiatives.
Here's how we did it...
- Completed the Community Energy Efficiency Program (CEEP) delivering excellent results - 37% energy efficiency improvements and savings of $54,000 per annum.
- Savings of $200,000 to date and predicated savings of a further $680,000 over the coming five years, and a decrease in carbon emissions by 10% (Source: Sustainability Review (2012/13 to 2013/14) undertaken by Sorus).
- Solar applications submitted for UnitingCare Community offices and Lifeline shops at Shakespeare Street Mackay and Lifeline Raceview Warehouse to further improve our energy efficiency and cost reduction.
- Leadership in sustainability in the not for profit sector - recognised as finalist in the 2014 Premier's Sustainability Awards (Leadership category) and 2015 Brisbane Lord Mayor's Awards (Energex Sustainability category).
Staff behaviour change initiatives including - Ride2Work Day, Smarties rewards for switching off, World Environment Day pledges, Sparky (energy efficiency) workshops. In a recent staff survey, 33% still believe that energy efficiency remains the top enviromental issue for UnitingCare Community, followed by 27% waste management and 16% purchasing and procurement.
Staff Survey Results
- 89% of respondents think UnitingCare Community's sustainability performance is average or better.
- 98% of respondents agree that sustainability is important for our organisation.
- 90% of respondents think that sustainability can enhance our organisation image and reputation.