Our Gambling Help Service provides gambling counselling, support and information to individuals who are affected by gambling. We offer free and confidential services in Far North Queensland and the Wide Bay and Burnett Region.
What is problem gambling?
Problem gambling is characterised as difficulties limiting money, time, and pre-occupation on gambling. Problem gambling may lead to adverse consequences for the gambler, significant others, families and for the wider community.
Assistance available includes:
- Free and confidential face-to-face and telephone counselling
- Support to empower our clients to improve their wellbeing and achieve their goals
- Assistance with self-exclusions
- Provide referral to support services
- Support community events and activities by providing gambling help education and awareness
- Information and training to gambling venues, schools, support groups and other stakeholders
Tips for safe gambling
- Leave cash cards at home
- Keep a diary of wins and losses
- Talk to someone about your gambling
- Challenge thoughts about gambling
- Do something different: take a walk, see a movie, or visit a friend
- Seek support from a qualified Gambling Help counsellor
Hours of operations
During office hours (Mon-Fri 8:30am to 4:30pm) please call our UnitingCare Community offices:
- Cairns – (07) 4050 4988
- Wide Bay & Burnett Region – (07) 4191 3100
Out of hours
Please call 1800 858 858 - Gambling Helpline for advice and referral to local services.